Friday 21 February 2014

Hey you!




Hello lovely people -
It's amazing to see you here!

If you'd asked me back in 2008 - I'd never in a million years, imagine that I'd soon be the owner of a pretty pink wheelchair called Millie. I was told that my recovery would be slow, but at the age of 22, I thought that meant I'd be back on my feet in a few weeks; a month at the most!

But here I am at nearly 29 years old, posting a picture of Millie & I for the world to see! Not only that; I have truly embraced my shower chair, I take advantage of my perching stool when making a cuppa, & I thank my bed rail on a daily basis, for preventing me from collapsing in a sweaty heap when I get up in the morning. Small things that make a huge difference to my life & allow me to retain some independence. A shame that society assumes you must be aged 80 & above to use such things!

These small tasks compare to climbing a mountain on a daily basis. From the moment I open my eyes, I am fighting against my body, begging it to behave! Just the simple act of getting up in the morning, is enough to make my body throw a wobbly. Getting dressed is a miracle in itself & you're truly privileged if I manage to wash my hair before seeing you!

But - I am so lucky & I count my blessings on a daily basis! Medically, it is probably a complete miracle that I survived my pulmonary embolism in 2008. On oxygen, surrounded by machines & millions of doctors, I was in complete denial - refusing to even contemplate what was happening to me. My parents were told to prepare for the worst - but here I am! Life can be a struggle, & particularly challenging at times - but I truly appreciate all that I have & am so lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life. It's thanks to one of my most favourite girlies that here I am writing this to you! It is so true what they say, that "only in the darkness, can you see the stars".

Wishing you all the loveliest weekend, full of pink & sparkle x




No comments:

Post a Comment